MailChimp is a free email marketing service provider. Unfortunately, the free account has its limits – 2,000 subscribers and 12,000 emails per month. Online marketers quickly surpass those limits, forcing them to upgrade to a premium plan or start looking for MailChimp alternatives.
While I love MailChimp (highly recommended for smaller subscriber lists), I recommend switching to one of the MailChimp alternatives listed below.
WHAT INITIALLY ATTRACTED ME TO MAILCHIMP?
I created my first newsletter and campaign using MailChimp. My subscriber list was not big in the beginning, as you could imagine. As my list grew, I ran into a lot of complications using the free account.
For example, MailChimp did not allow me to insert certain affiliate links into my campaigns. Due to the nature of my business, this was a problem.
My recommendation would be to choose an email marketing service provider and stick with it in the long run. Moving your list over to a new email marketing service is a hassle and sometimes requires double opt-in requests (subscribers must re-subscriber to your newsletter).
3 MAILCHIMP ALTERNATIVES
After careful reviews and tons of comparisons, I found some of the most reliable MailChimp alternatives:
Constant Contact is a complete upgrade over the free account offered through MailChimp. Tons of features to kick start your campaigns.
Pricing starts at $15/month for 500 subscribers with unlimited emails. Larger plans are also available.
Constant Contact Pros:
- Over 600,000 individuals and businesses use Constant Contact’s email marketing service.
- The ability to create autoresponders.
- Simple social media integration.
- Advanced tracking and reporting capabilities (opens, clicks, etc.).
- Integrate sign up forms onto your website and Facebook page.
- Send unlimited emails to your subscribers.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- 60-day free trial…
Constant Contact Cons:
- Lacks advanced design options one can find on other email marketing services.
- You have to call customer service to cancel your account.
Constant Contact Is Perfect For: Small to medium subscriber lists.
AWeber is the most loved email marketing service on the internet. If you never heard of them, then you are not a true email marketer.
Plans start at $19/month for 500 subscribers with unlimited emails. Larger plans are also available.
- 98% deliverability rate, sometimes higher.
- Features over 700 templates and 6,000 stock images.
- Autoresponder – creates a series of automated emails to your subscribers.
- Drag and drop editor for customized templates and designs.
- Insert sign up forms into your website. You can even split test different sign up forms to see which convert the best.
- Segmented campaign tracking and analytics.
- US-based technical support.
- 30-day money back guarantee just in case things do not work out.
- $1 free trial…
- Expensive when compared to iContact ($14/month for 500 subscribers) and Constant Contact ($15/month for 500 subscribers).
- You cannot email videos using AWeber. In order to send videos, you must upload them to video sharing sites like YouTube.
- Requires double opt-in when importing existing subscriber lists.
AWeber Is Perfect For: Medium to large subscriber lists.
The best email marketing service, period. Once you make a commitment to iContact, you do not have to worry about outgrowing their plans.
iContact plans start at $10/month for 250 subscribers. You can send unlimited emails to your subscribers. Larger plans are available.
- Over 700,000 individuals and businesses use iContact’s email marketing service.
- 600+ email templates with several different layout options.
- 98% deliverability rate – an estimated 98 out of 100 are delivered to inboxes.
- Autoresponder (a must for any online email marketer).
- Does not limit the about of emails you can send each month.
- Integrate sign up forms into websites and Facebook pages.
- Message builder for crafting unique emails.
- Advanced reporting options to track your campaigns.
- 30-day free trial…
- Customer support is available during business hours – Monday to Friday between 4AM-10PM Eastern Standard Time).
- Requires a custom plan for larger plans.
iContact Is Perfect For: Ideal for individuals and businesses with a decent budget.
MAILCHIMP ALTERNATIVES: MY RECOMMENDATION?
I did not write this “MailChimp Alternatives” article to bash MailChimp. I still think they are a great email marketing service for beginners and those who are new to the whole idea of creating and managing newsletters. However, as an experienced email marketer, it is the best to start with an email marketing service that you can stick with in the long run. Having to migrate your subscriber list can be a real pain in the butt.
Alright, so who do I recommend? While you can benefit from all three email marketing services, I highly recommend Constant Contact.