From March of 2012, I have been using GameFly to rent videos games. In this post, I will provide you with an unbiased GameFly review to help you determine if their video gaming rental service is something that you are interested in. After using the service for over four years, I will try to include everything I know about the service, both good and bad things.
What is GameFly?
GameFly is a video gaming rental service that gives you access to thousands of PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, and PS Vita console games. In addition, GameFly offers games from older consoles including PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, and Nintendo Gameboy Advance.
Furthermore, you will also be able to rent thousands of movies (DVD and Blu-ray).
It is a premium video game and movie rental service, so there is a monthly cost for using the service.
Is GameFly a scam?
After posting this GameFly review, I received numerous emails questioning the legitimacy of the service. GameFly first introduced their online gaming rental service in 2002. Today, thousands of gamers use their service to rent video games. As mentioned above, there are thousands of movies and games from the leading gaming consoles such as PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U.
Probably just like you, I was tired of paying full price for games like Call of Duty, Madden, and FIFA. That is when I decided to sign up for the membership and have been using it ever since. As long as you pay for the service on a regular basis, you will be able to rent thousands of movies and games.
I should note that GameFly has a fair share of negative reviews all over the internet. While most of the reviews are far from being true, there are some that are accurate. On the positive side, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) gave GameFly a perfect rating, which is difficult to maintain. The Better Business Bureau page also shows the amount of complaints that were filed against the company. While I do not recommend making your decision solely on this, I feel that it gives you a chance to browse through previous customer complaints to see where the problems are occurring.
GameFly is far from being a perfect service, but it is not a scam.
How does GameFly work?
After you activate your 30-day free trial and create your rental account, you will have access to thousands of games and movies that you can rent right away. To start, add a game or movie that you want into your “My GameQ.” As the games / movies become available, GameFly will automatically ship them out to you. You will be able to keep the games and movies for as long as you want.
After you are done playing or get bored with the games, simply send them back using the free prepaid shipping mailer. Upon receiving your games, GameFly will automatically send you the next available games that are available in your queue. You also have the option to keep the games forever by purchasing the games at a discount price. The process is simple and should not take you too long to grasp.
When adding games and movies to your queue, make sure that you are putting the games and movies that you want to receive first on the top of the list.
GameFly offers you two different monthly plans, $15.95 and $22.95 a month. All new members get a 30-day free trial.
- One game or movie rented at a time will cost you $9.50 a month for the first three months, and then $15.95 a month thereafter.
- Two games or movies rented at a time will cost you $13.50 a month for the first three months, and then $22.95 a month thereafter.
There are no other fees associated with the service and you can cancel your membership whenever you want. You do not pay for the shipping; all shipping fees (including return shipping) are paid by GameFly.
I like the idea of being able to rent two games or movies at a time as it reduces the amount of time that I have to wait to receive a new game. But, it will come down to your preference and budget.
Can I cancel my GameFly membership?
You can cancel your membership at any time. To cancel your membership, log into your GameFly account and click on “Cancel My Membership” that is located under the “Account” tab. You can also call GameFly and have them cancel the account for you. Make sure that you remember to return all of the games so that you do not incur any charges. After you cancel your membership and return all of the games, you will not incur any other charges in the future.
- You have the option to save money by renting video games and movies when compared to purchasing the games and movies at full price.
- You have a huge selection of games and movies that are available for rent – over 8,000 games from leading gaming consoles including PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U.
- Shipping is free and fast – there are five shipping locations throughout the United States (Kansas City, Los Angeles, Pittsburg, Seattle, and Tampa).
- You have the option to keep the games for as long as you want.
- You can keep the game by purchasing it at a discounted price.
- You have to wait for games that are recently released, but it all depends on when you add the game to your queue.
- Because thousands of other members rent and play the same games, not all games will arrive in the perfect condition. Some games may show signs of wear and tear and may not even work.
- Swapping out games is slow. The turnaround for returning a game and then getting a new one takes about a week.
- The streaming feature is limited to select devices.
GameFly Review – Is Gamefly worth it?
Depending on the amount of time and money you spend on gaming, a GameFly membership may or may not be worth it for you. If you are looking for a cheaper video game rental service, you will not find a better GameFly alternative. This is due to the fact that other game rental services are either non-existent or out of business.
If you are a casual gamer and buy one to two games a year, GameFly is probably not worth it for you.
If you enjoy playing video games but hate paying $60 for each game, GameFly is a game rental service that you should look at. For $15.95 a month, you will gain access to thousands of video games and movies that you can rent whenever you want. While the service has minor drawbacks, I feel that it is the best online game rental service available.
What are your thoughts on GameFly? Please share by posting a comment below.