If you are already selling on Etsy, you might be looking to open an online store of your own. Marketplace platforms like Etsy, eBay and Amazon are becoming very unpopular due to their high selling fees and the inability to make much of a profit. The Etsy alternatives featured within this article should be on the top of your list.
Do not get me wrong, Etsy is a neat marketplace. However, it has its fair share of limitations that will eventually affect your overall profit margins.
ETSY ALTERNATIVES – PROS AND CONS OF SELLING ON ETSY
Etsy is a marketplace that enables sellers to sell handmade goods. Here is what I found to be the pros and cons of setting up a shop on their marketplace:
- The ability to create a store and start listing products within minutes.
- Your Etsy store is exposed to millions of Etsy members and shoppers.
- There are no monthly subscription fees.
- Selling fees for each item that sells. For sellers in the United States, the fees are $0.20 for each item you list and a 3.5% transaction fee for each item sold. Direct checkout fees vary by country.
- The ability to sell handmade items only. If you only sell handmade goods, then this is great. But if you want to sell other items, that is when problems arise.
- Increased competition, making it harder to make a decent profit. Remember, you are not the only one with a skill of hand making items.
2 ETSY ALTERNATIVES FOR SELLING PRODUCTS ONLINE
Personally, I think Etsy is a great marketplace for selling handmade products. However, I think you can benefit by opening an online store using one of the Etsy alternatives below.
If you like selling on Etsy, you will love selling on Shopify – even if you never ran an online store in the past. Shopify has an easy to use store builder and a quick store setup wizard. Their ecommerce plans start at $14/month (see all Shopify plans here or read my in-depth Shopify review for more information).
Benefits of selling on Shopify:
- No limitations on what you can sell online – you can sell both physical and digital products, among many others.
- The ability to point your Shopify store to a custom domain name.
- The ability to create a unique online store with custom branding and logos.
- The option to import existing Etsy products onto your Shopify store.
- You have full control over how and where you list your inventory.
- No transaction fees when you use their in-house payment gateway. You still pay credit card and PayPal fees.
- No fees for adding products to your online store.
- The ability to market your online store the way you want, without having to pay extra fees.
Drawbacks of selling on Shopify:
- Since Shopify is a premium ecommerce platform, you have to pay a monthly fee to use it. Plans start at $14/month.
- You have to promote your online store to get customers and sales.
If you want to build an online store from scratch, Weebly is a site builder that is capable of building small and large websites. Their site builder comes with a user-friendly interface and includes a drag and drop editor to build, design and structure your store. Weebly offers a free plan with limited features (see all Weebly plans here).
Benefits of building an online store with Weebly:
- There are no limitations on the type of products that can list and sell.
- The ability to import your entire Etsy inventory.
- Capable of creating an online store with custom branding and logos.
- The ability to use a custom domain name on your website. This improves your brand, is easy to remember and looks professional.
- There are no fees for adding store inventory.
- There are several marketing tools at your disposal.
Drawbacks of building an online store with Weebly:
- Weebly offers a free plan that is very limited. Their premium plans range from $4/month to $25/month.
- Weebly charges transaction fees of up to 3%.
SHOULD I BUILD AN ONLINE STORE USING THESE ETSY ALTERNATIVES?
I am not telling you to stop selling on Etsy. I am telling you to create a separate online store and sell your products there as well. This enables customers to purchase products on both your Etsy hosted store and your online store.
Basically, the benefits of creating an online store using one of the Etsy alternatives above include:
- Unique branding
- Custom domain name
- Reduced fees
- More selling tools
- Sell anything